Windows login or User login?

Nov 8, 2013 at 5:35 PM
Edited Nov 11, 2013 at 8:23 PM
I was told before that in order to use SQLSRV loginging as a domain user I needed to use Windows Authentication, well, Even though we all know that Browsers that use an user agent like Gecko won't gather that from the computer, I decided to test it with the new released IE 11 and guess what happened: "401 - Authentication Failure, I checked the user agent for IE 11 and it's Trident acting like Gecko, I even tried using compatibility mode but I still get that, I tried with Chrome and Firefox and it works, but this method of authentication still sucks.

So, I'm here to ask you, please, make this extension (driver) to allow domain accounts to be used with the UID argument, so at least one login system can be used (forms).

Thanks.
Nov 11, 2013 at 11:01 AM
Firefox is a Gecko browser and includes Gecko in its user agent string, and you said it worked. Windows Authentication has nothing to do with Gecko browsers, it's to do with the web server configuration, and it works with all the leading browsers, especially IE.

Do you want PHP to impersonate the user at the browser end? It depends which web server you are using, because it's the web server that runs PHP. On IIS there is a setting 'fastcgi.impersonate' which will work, but will also affect other behaviours like file access

What you are requesting is insecure. On other web platforms you will probably need some Windows programming skills to achieve your goal. It's not the job of the sqlsrv driver. I doubt there is any other database driver that offers such functionality.
Nov 11, 2013 at 8:23 PM
Edited Nov 11, 2013 at 8:24 PM
Well, I have my IIS server configured to use ONLY Windows Authentication for the site where I have the sqlsrv test script, when I visit it with any browser but IE, it asks me for User and password, I give it a domain user and password with permissions in the SQL server and it works, but when I use IE 11 (with or without compatibility mode) all I get is 401, no matter what user I am.

Also, IE is configured to pass Windows User and password for this site.